HOME

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

It's good to be loved


It seems to often that I "help" my children make decisions on purchases. Especially when it comes to gift giving. In my defense they don't usually know what they want to get any way. But this year they proved that they can make decisions, and good ones at that. For my birthday Doug asked them what they wanted to get me and each of them had very specific ideas. The great thing was, Doug let them. He took them where they wanted to go and let them choose. I'm sure it helped that each of them questioned me about it before hand. For example Nathan said to me "Mom, if you got shoes for your birthday, what kind would you want?" and Kristen at Target steered us toward the scrapbook isle and said "Mom, if you see anything you like tell me, ok." They were so cute about it and I couldn't wait to see what they came up with.

I have never seen them so excited to give gifts, and they were each so proud of what they chose. Samantha picked out jewelry, Kristen scrapbook stuff, Nathan sandals. I loved everything. They were perfect gifts and even more perfect because they chose them.

The evening would have been even more perfect had they believed that I would be 35 forever. They asked how old I would be on my next birthday and I told them I would be 35 forever. They could still celebrate my birthday but the number would never change. They almost bought it. Then they laughed at me.

No comments: