HOME

Friday, March 9, 2007

SO BLESSED...

Last night was our Enrichment Relief Society Birthday Dinner. It was "A Night with Emma". And that it truly was. They started off with a slide show to music that had quotes from Emma about her life. Then a sweet sister in our ward dressed up as Emma (pretty impressive) and talked about her life and the experiences and hardship she's had. When I hear stories about the pioneers and the challenges they faced and their way of life I don't think I've really take it to heart. Part of me couldn't help think about how nice it would be to live such a simple life. Free from the worries of all this earthly stuff I seem to care so much about. Just to focus on what really matters, family and survival. But then I see the challenges and know that God saved me for these days because I could not do what she had to do. I am so grateful I have not been asked to do what Emma was asked to endure. The pure loss of children alone is enough to break me. I know as a mother her heart broke as much as mine would have.

For this I am sooooooo blessed:
I have 4 beautiful healthy children
I have a husband who comes home every night
I have always had a place to live
I have never had to run in fear for our lives
I haven't had to walk through a near frozen river in winter with 3 babies
Our lives have never been threatened
I haven't had to choose between my husband and my parents
I have not been asked to endure what Emma did

I'm sure the pioneers watch us and wonder in amazement how we live in these times just as I can't imagine theirs. But I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows me and knows what I can handle. I know this inspirational night will not stay with me for long, I am far from perfect, but at this moment I am so grateful for what the pioneers did to bring this gospel to us and for the many blessings I enjoy. I am challenging myself to be more mindful of what really matters. I do know what a blessing it is to be a mother and will try to be a better one.

This does remind me of a conversation I had with my sweet Nathan recently about what this world is coming to. The evil that surrounds us and how strong we have to be to survive it. This sweet big boy told me that he has challenged himself to keep the commandment to love thy neighbor. He told me that if everyone did this we wouldn't need the other commandments. He is so right, it all comes down to love. He said "Mom, I don't hate anyone right now, when someone makes me mad I just let it go." I told him I don't hate anyone either. I live for moments like these!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

So are you trying to make us cry now? I know what you mean about enjoying the feeling of a spiritual moment. I wish I could have bottled the feeling I had when I got my answer about the Church. Good blog entry.